The add-in does not work

May 29, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I have downloaded the installation file, unzipped and installed JUST FOR ME (as it is my personal computer, I am the only user, and thought this alternative was fine).

Software:

• Win7pro 32 bit (norwegian)
  • Office2007 (norwegian)

Both windows and office updated.

The installation is ok, the chemistry-tab appears in word.

When I write a chemical name (in English) in a document, I can convert to chemistry zone. But from there nothing happens. I cannot change to 2D or other representation at all, and the chemistry navigator does not appear. Sadly :-( I really see the potential in this add-in. But I cannot get it to work.

Developer
Jun 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM

> When I write a chemical name (in English) in a document, I can convert to chemistry zone. But from there nothing happens. I cannot change to 2D or other representation at all, and the chemistry navigator does not appear. Sadly :-( I really see the potential in this add-in. But I cannot get it to work.

Kjemikeren,

Thanks for the feed back. Would you please give us an example of the chemical names you tried? The dictionary of recognised terms is very small at present (ca 500). If the name was not in the list then Chem4Word will simply create a new chemistry zone from the selected text which will only have a name representation available. Are you able to show a 2D structure? We will investigate the navigator problem - are any exception messages shown?

We will be releasing a new version soon with an IUPAC name to structure converter and pubchem look up facility to increase the number of chemicals available.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Hi! I installed first Mic. Visual Studio 2008 and then the Add in all was good, Chemistry tab appeared! Then I wanted to insert formula from Chemistry Gallery and i got this error -Cannot find DependencyProperty or PropertyInfo for property named 'Effect'. Property names case sensitive. Error at object 'chemCanvas' in markup file 'Chem4Word.Wpf.Controls;component/2ddepiction/ui.xaml'.--

It wont show any picture of formula or diagrams!! Please help! 

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Very busy schoolyear for me now, and I won't be teaching chemistry again until next August, so I think I'll just let this wait until then.

Developer
Aug 25, 2010 at 9:30 PM
Nymphandora wrote:

Hi! I installed first Mic. Visual Studio 2008 and then the Add in all was good, Chemistry tab appeared! Then I wanted to insert formula from Chemistry Gallery and i got this error -Cannot find DependencyProperty or PropertyInfo for property named 'Effect'. Property names case sensitive. Error at object 'chemCanvas' in markup file 'Chem4Word.Wpf.Controls;component/2ddepiction/ui.xaml'.--

It wont show any picture of formula or diagrams!! Please help! 

Nymphandora,

Are you in an EN-US locale? We have heard a few reports which sound similar to this issue but they were all when running in a non EN-US version of windows. 

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Hi

I Tried to install the add-in with a French version of Office 2007 and

it did not work...the PIA installer runs for ever (looks like without coming back to an end

as in the English US does).

Regards

Michel

May 24, 2011 at 7:09 AM

I have Visual Studio 2010 on my pc... will the chemistry add-in work in my office 2010? or do i have to install visual studio 2008? if it works with visual studio 2010, what would I do? Thanks!

Developer
May 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Hi nastykent,

Thank you for showing interest in Chemistry Add-in for Word.

Chemistry Add-in for word works fine with office 2010. You don’t need to have Visual Studio to work with Chemistry Add-in for Word but make sure that .Net Framework 3.5 or later version installed on your system.  If your operating system is Windows 7 the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 is shipped with it as one of the OS component.  

If you want to understand the code and try out your own things with the code then Visual Studio is required and for that Visual Studio 2010 is good enough. No need to go for installing the Visual Studio 2008. 

Please go through the Chemistry Add-in Work User Guide to understand how to install the Chemistry Word Add-in and how to use it in the MS Word 2010 (Office 2010) .The link to the user guide is http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/chem4word/chemistry_add-in_for_word_user_guide.docx . 

Please let us know if this answers your query. 

Regards,
Support Team

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Anyone else found that the chemistry and maths add-ins are broken after installing Service Pack 1 to Office 2010?

Developer
Jul 4, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Hi Bill, 

Thank you showing interest in Chemistry add-in for Word.

The possible reason for this issue could be the add-ins might have been disabled temporarily after installing Service Pack 1 to Office 2010. 

If above is the case please check the add-ins  of your interest are disabled or not with the steps given below :

1)    Click on the Word File -> Options -> Add-ins

2)    If the entry of add-in you are looking for is present under the Category “Inactive Applications Add-ins” it implies that is been disabled temporarily

3)    In order to enable it  follow the  steps given below:

a)    Select “Disabled Items” in “Manage” Combo Box
         b)    Click on “Go “

c)    Select the add-ins which you need to enable in the Disabled Items dialog and Click on Enable Button

d)    Click Close
         e)    Select “COM Add-ins” from “Manage” Combo Box

f)     Click on Go

g)    If you find the entries of Add-ins that you have enabled in the step c) unchecked, please mark them
               checked and Click on OK.

Now Add-ins will start working fine. Incase above solution doesn't work please unistall and reinstall the add-ins . The steps to be followed for removing and reinstalling the Chemistry Add-in for Word can
be found at the link:  http://chem4word.codeplex.com/workitem/7541

Please let us if this answers your query and also let us know if have any further queries/Concern with the same. 

Regards,
MSR Support Team