importing

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:53 AM

I have tried to find more chemical names or structures to use in the Chemical Add-In for Word.  There are only 6 in the gallery, but I have yet to type in a name as a chemical zone and get it to respond with a structure.  I used common compounds, like caffeine, glucose, or methanol.  All were deemed "unknown."  How do I find what compounds are available, or how do I import them?

As a chemistry teacher, I see this type of program being very useful for creating worksheets, tests, etc for my classes.  I would love to be able to use the add-in to its fullest, but cannot seem to do so now. 

Please advise.

ml Verdi-Korte

Developer
Jul 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM
mlverdikorte wrote:

I have tried to find more chemical names or structures to use in the Chemical Add-In for Word.  There are only 6 in the gallery, but I have yet to type in a name as a chemical zone and get it to respond with a structure.  I used common compounds, like caffeine, glucose, or methanol.  All were deemed "unknown."  How do I find what compounds are available, or how do I import them?

As a chemistry teacher, I see this type of program being very useful for creating worksheets, tests, etc for my classes.  I would love to be able to use the add-in to its fullest, but cannot seem to do so now. 

Please advise.

ml Verdi-Korte

Hi, 

The easiest way to find out which chemicals are included in the smart tag dictionary is to look in the file "<install-directory>\SmartTag\smart-tag-dict.xml". Which version of the add-in are you using and also which version of Word?

When the add-in is used in Word 2007 any chemical terms which are recognised will be underlined with purple dots. However Word 2010 removed this feature and now the methods are accessed only through right click context menus. We have been working on the list of molecules and are adding a further 150 in the default dictionary. These will include most or all of the chemicals encountered in the first two years of the chemistry course at Cambridge.