This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Serious problems (at present this addin is not usable)

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Edited Mar 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Hi,

I would really like the Chemistry for Word add-in to do what it's supposed to but it doesn't!

I have created a list of errors with error messages but I can't see how to attach it (it's in a word document).

So I'll type it out:

The errors are:
1) Using Control-z to undo when a chemistry zone is highlighted gives an error dialogue box that says "You have now unbound the backing CML from the on screen representation"

2) When I try to copy and paste a chemistry zone (which is text, a formula for example) I get an error box that says "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: pointer"

3) When I try to edit the text of a formula by double-clicking, it does nothing. When I use the ribbon I get an error box that says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

4) Chemistry navigator does not appear when clicked

5) If I type "water" (without the quotes), highlight it, and click 'Mark as Chemistry' on the ribbon I get an error box which says: "Value does not fall within the expected range". If I use the context menu 'Mark as Chemistry', nothing happens. If I use the context menu "Additional Actions", "Convert to Chemistry zone" then it works, but I get an error box that says: "Object has been deleted"

6) I can't get any chemical diagrams (2d views?) of formulae no matter what I click.

All I really want to do is be able to type chemical formulae in the correct format, so at present I'm looking at alternatives to this add-in as it appears to be broken.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and Office 2010.
I installed from the download on this site, v1.1, and I didn't get any error messages during the installation. I have .Net v4 installed, as well as Visual C++ 2010 and Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime.

I've read through a few of the other threads and have checked the status of the add-in in Word and all is as it should be.

Can anyone help?
Developer
Apr 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Apologies for the delayed response.

We are now testing the reported errors. we will update you in a day or two.
Developer
Apr 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Need some more time to get up with the OS-Office combo. Update you once testing is done at our end.
Apr 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Hi,

I would really like the Chemistry for Word add-in to do what it's supposed to but it doesn't!

I have created a list of errors with error messages but I can't see how to attach it (it's in a word document).

So I'll type it out:

The errors are:
1) Using Control-z to undo when a chemistry zone is highlighted gives an error dialogue box that says "You have now unbound the backing CML from the on screen representation"

This scenario is valid. when you do control-z the bounded CML to the particular chemistry term will be unbounded and user will be notified

2) When I try to copy and paste a chemistry zone (which is text, a formula for example) I get an error box that says "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: pointer"
I could repro this but need to investigate how it was done in the previous version

3) When I try to edit the text of a formula by double-clicking, it does nothing. When I use the ribbon I get an error box that says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
Works as expected. Could not repro this. I was able to edit the labels
Works as expected. Could not repro this

5) If I type "water" (without the quotes), highlight it, and click 'Mark as Chemistry' on the ribbon I get an error box which says: "Value does not fall within the expected range". If I use the context menu 'Mark as Chemistry', nothing happens. If I use the context menu "Additional Actions", "Convert to Chemistry zone" then it works, but I get an error box that says: "Object has been deleted"
I did test this. Mark as chemistry button and the context menu work seamlessly.

6) I can't get any chemical diagrams (2d views?) of formulae no matter what I click.
I was able to get the 2D view of all the chemistry terms
All I really want to do is be able to type chemical formulae in the correct format, so at present I'm looking at alternatives to this add-in as it appears to be broken.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and Office 2010.
I installed from the download on this site, v1.1, and I didn't get any error messages during the installation. I have .Net v4 installed, as well as Visual C++ 2010 and Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime.

I've read through a few of the other threads and have checked the status of the add-in in Word and all is as it should be.

Can anyone help?

My suggestion: Please uninstall the current add-in and do a fresh installation. If you still face any issue please revert back__

Thanks,

Prapthi
Apr 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Okay, have uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Office 2010 suite, .Net4 and Visualstudio and re-installed the add-on. Findings below:

This scenario is valid. when you do control-z the bounded CML to the particular chemistry term will be unbounded and user will be notified

Okay, I guess that error message means the text in the Word document is no longer linked to or labelled as Chemistry Markup Language? Maybe change the error dialogue box text. I don't think an average user would know what bound/unbound means or even what CML is. Also, using ctrl-z doesn't stop the text being marked as Chemistry, it still has the blue background and the graphic tab behind it. So if I label something as chemistry by mistake, it has to be highlighted and deleted. In fact I just tried to do this using the word "test" and although the text disappears, the blue box remains with faded-out text saying 'Click here to enter text' and cannot be deleted - at all, I have to start a whole new Word document. This is totally useless behaviour.

I could repro this but need to investigate how it was done in the previous version
I still get the same error

Works as expected. Could not repro this. I was able to edit the labels
Still same error - double-clicking does nothing, but it did at the start of my test session, so I guess that the ctrl-z thing has broken the label editing.

Works as expected. Could not repro this
Okay Chemistry navigator does appear and disappear now

I did test this. Mark as chemistry button and the context menu work seamlessly.
Now I get an error that says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" but it looks like it has marked it as chemistry - it has a blue box behind it now. When I click 'View' and choose "H_{2}O" I get the same error message "Object reference not set...." but the text "water" changes to the chemical formula.

I was able to get the 2D view of all the chemistry terms
__Using the same text as above, if I choose "2D" then I get the same error and the formula changes to a diagram. This only works for "water". Other text for example "Hydrochloric acid" and "Sulphuric acid" do not convert to a formula, or 2D diagrams or anything else and are not shown on the Navigator.

At the end of all this, clicking to clear error messages between each operation makes it very clunky to use. I've tried it now on a vanilla Office install and it clearly doesn't work properly. I guess there something wrong with whatever drives the add-in, as it seemed to do some things okay, but only after throwing up an error message. I'm afraid I have a large piece of work to do and this software is just too buggy to trust in proper use.

I'll try it again in a few months time to see if these errors have been fixed. Thanks for your time.__
Apr 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Thanks for reporting the issues. I'm trying to repro all your issues. I will get back to soon on the updates