Notice of change of Governance Model

Coordinator
May 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Edited May 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM
During my brief tenure as Project Leader, the Chem4Word Project has been operating under a de facto 'benign dictatorship' Governance Model. This has up to now served the project adequately. However, I don't really see this working in the long term. If we are to grow this project and ensure that it thrives, then I need to state that my own limitations, mainly time-related, are going to get in the way of governing this project.

I am therefore proposing to formally establish the project under a 'Meritocratic Governance Model (with a PMC)'. You can read how this model works at http://www.outercurve.org/Resources/Wiki/Page/Committee-Governance . The Project Management Committee, or PMC, consists of a subset of community members with authority for making strategic planning decisions. I am assuming that there will be no objections from the community to this change, as this is the most inclusive model and also the most commonly used in the Open Source community.

However, a Project Management Committee needs committee members. I am therefore inviting you to join me on the Committee if you feel you can make a contribution to the running of this project. Please take some time to read about the various roles in the attached link, and if you feel you are a good fit for this role then post here or send me a message directly.